February 22, 2012

R.I.P. Whitney Houston

I was in seventh or eighth grade and we had what were called Coke Dances at the time. They changed the name a few years later to Junior High Dances for reasons that should be obvious. We had a DJ playing and it was generally a good time. I was very shy and awkward back then and someone dedicated a song for me and the guy I had a crush on at the time. I have no idea why I remember this but the song we danced to was "Saving All My Love For You" by Whitney Houston. At the time Whitney Houston was fairly new on the scene and I didn't even know who she was but once she became popular every time I heard that song I would think of that dance. I'm married with step and grandkids  now but music always brings out memories for me.

I am always saddened when stars pass away because of drugs. We all think that they have it all but they don't. They are people under an enormous amount of pressure and the fans and the paparazzi are part of the reason.They hunt for stories and even make up stories about these stars. If I heard correctly someone put the news about Whitney's death on Twitter before the press officially released it. There is always a celebrity on the verge of death even if they are perfectly healthy. I can't imagine how I would feel if I saw on Twitter or Facebook that someone close to me was on verge of death or even dead when they weren't.

I personally don't care what Lindsey Lohen  is getting arrested for and Charlie Sheen is using his problems for publicity but I can see how the pressure of being in the spotlight can make a person turn to drugs or alcohol. I do consider myself a writer and a journalist does have to report the news but what I don't understand is why we need to know every intimate detail about who is sleeping with who and who is doing what when and we certainly don't need to hear about it ten time a day for a week straight.

Oh well, I had my rant for the day.
Good day and good writing!
Patti

No comments: