July 30, 2010

Recap #1 from Midwest Writer's Workshop

Wow! What a weekend! I got here to Muncie IN on Wednesday afternoon. I went to call hubby and realized that there was a time change. The time in Chicago is an hour earlier than Muncie. This would not make a huge difference except that I am a night person and the workshop started at 8:00 every morning so, 7:00 my time. Not to mention that I couldn't sleep the first night. Needless to say, I drank a lot of coffee.

At the welcome they reminded us that, "Playing it safe is the most popular way to fail."

For my intensive session I took "The Art Of Characterization in Fiction and Non-Fiction" with Dinty W. Moore. I was a little disappointed that he fired me as his best-friend. I sat next to him during the workshop and in an example he put me in the story as his best-friend. Somehow I managed to get fired because I wasn't laughing enough or something. I was just concentrating on what he was saying. Oh well.

The session dealt more with non-fiction than with fiction but I think I can use some of the exercises while I am reworking my book. He was basically reverberating the show don't tell rule by having us describe someone from our past in detail. I suppose I could have just used one of my characters instead if I had wanted to bend it towards the fiction side. Too bad I didn't think about it at the time. It was a good session and I learned a lot even though it wasn't quite what I expected.

One the main things that most of the speakers that I saw at the conference was stressing was that you have to learn to use the social media to your advantage so I am going to make a point of posting a lot more. I probably have at least five posts just about the workshop. But, for now,
Goodnight and good writing....Patti

No comments: